Friday 9 November 2012

Everyday Makeup Routine

Hello!
So, I've decided that my first proper post is going to be on my everyday routine as it is something which I love reading about on people's blogs, so I thought it could be of some interest! 

When creating this look I was getting ready for a normal day, not doing anything spectacular, just running errands, so I wanted to look fresh and awake without putting too much effort in. 


My everyday make up:





Everyday Wear

Everyday Wear by catrionalmacleod featuring bare escentuals


Now without further adieu, here is a step by step guide to achieving this look:

Face

I'm going to put another post up at some point about skincare so I will leave out my morning and evening skincare routine till then. Let's just say that my face is clean and moisturised!



1) Primer - bareEscentual's Prime Time primer: 



My skin isn't always the most cooperative, and in the past I have had some primers break me out in spots. But when I use this primer it seems to actually stop me from getting spots. It is not oily and does not clog your pores but actually seems to create a barrier between your skin and the make up. I really do tell the difference now from when I don't use this primer. It also not only helps my make up to stay on all day, but smooths out my skin, providing a better base for my make up, meaning that it doesn't go cakey, and who wants a cakey face? Not me! 



Application: To apply I squirt a 5 pence sized amount onto my finger, dot it around my face and smooth out.

2) Foundation - Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation in Desert Beige: 



I would say that if I had to choose only one item of make up to use it would have to be foundation. I love how it makes my skin look and it's just that one item that I can wear with nothing else on my face quite happily. 

This particular foundation provides medium to full coverage, meaning  I don't tend to need to use any extra kind of concealer. Which is handy! I personally do not like to feel like I am wearing a lot of foundation but do like full coverage, which makes this perfect for my needs as while it does provide full coverage, it does not feel heavy on my face, and allows my skin to breathe.


Application: The brush I use to apply this foundation is the Real Techniques Stippling Brush. Using this kind of brush allows a light and natural coverage. I simply buff the foundation into my face with the brush, making sure to blend it down my neck. Don't want the dreaded foundation line!


3) Concealer - Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer in Ivory





This concealer is unlike a normal concealer as it actually highlights. Therefore it does not do too well on spots! However, it does work well under the eyes and around the nose by lightening those areas. The formula is also lovely to work with, melting into the skin very smoothly. 


Application: To use, I twist the bottom of the highlighting concealer twice, and brush it under my eyes to cover any dark circles, and around the sides of the nose to cover redness. Then I use my fingers to blend it in. This product can also be used on the cheekbones as a highlighter. 


4) Setting Powder - bareMinerals Mineral Veil: 



To set my foundation in the day I always reach for my bareMineral's Mineral Veil. It gives a lovely glow to the face without adding any more unnecessary coverage. I hardly use any really as I find a small amount goes a long way. 

Application: I gently buff the powder across my face with a bareMinerals full flawless face brush and that's it! My foundation is then set for the day.

5) Blush - Benefit's Box of Powder in Coralista: 



This has been a favourite everyday blush of mine for a long time, and it is taking me so long to run out! I don't know how? I use it most days! When I put this on it instantly brightens up my face, giving me a lovely warm glow. I don't even need to use bronzer when I wear this as the coral warms up my face a treat! 




Appliction: To apply my blush I always go for my Sedona Lace brush in 376, it's so soft and holds on to product really well. It may actually be my favourite make up brush. I simply find the apples of my cheeks by smiling, and swirl it on.

Eyes



6) Eye Primer - Urban Decay Primer Potion: 



Before I use any eyeshadow, I always prime my eyes, and the best primer that I have found has to be Urban Decay's Primer potion. I received my miniature bottle when I was given my Naked Palette for my birthday, but since then I've gone out and bought the full size bottle so that I'm prepared for when the other runs out! When I apply my eyeshadow this primer ensures that it lasts all day without creasing and the colour is definitely more vibrant. 


Application: I simply use use the brush to dab the product onto my eyelids, then use my fingertips to gently blend it in.

7) Eyeshadow - Benefit's Big Beautiful Eyes Kit: 



I like to use this kit for a day time look as it is very wearable and I know that it always looks good, contouring your eyes nicely without looking like you have a lot of eye make up on. The kit also comes with a handy Boing concealer for under your eyes or blemishes on your face which is handy if I am on the go with this kit.

Application: Taking a flat brush, I pat the lightest shade all over my lid and use a pencil brush to apply the medium shade onto my crease. Then I blend it out with a fluffy brush. 

8) Eyeliner - Bourjois Kohl and Contour eye pencil in Brun & Caramel: 



On an everyday basis I use brown liner as it is much softer than black, which can look quite harsh for a daytime look. This kohl pencil is my favourite as it is soft and applies very smoothly, with no tugging of the eye.



Application: I line my lower lash line only half way in and then smudge it out with my finger, creating a softer effect. I then do the same with the top lash line, again I only line half way in and smudge out. This, I feel, opens up the eyes making them look bigger and more awake.

Tip: Going over the brown liner with the dark brown shade of the Benefit eye kit can deepen the look without making it look too harsh.

9) Mascara - Benefit's They're Real! Mascara: 




If you have not tried Benefit's They're Real mascara, go and try it now!! Yes it's expensive, however, it is amazing!! It provides both length and volume, parting your lashes and keeping you away from the clogged up look. Mine has lasted me a fair while now, probably about 5 months so far and I'm happy to say it has not dried out yet! I've actually had a few people ask me whether I'm wearing fake eyelashes when wearing this. Definite thumbs up. 

Application: I tend to apply only one application of mascara in the day. Although when going to work or out on the town I would then apply two applications. But on an everyday basis, starting from the root, I simply wiggle the brush through both my top and bottom lashes once, using the top of the brush to make sure all of my lashes are coated. 


10) Brows - Benefit's Brow Zings in Medium



In this kit you receive a pigmented wax and powder. These fill in your brows creating a very natural look in a way that I cannot achieve with a brow pencil, which tends to give too harsh a line, for myself anyway. 

Application: Using an angled brush, my method is to swirl my brush in both the wax and the powder, then softly brush it through my brows.

LIPS!

11) Lips - Revlon's Colourburst Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie 

Lip products are my obsession. I have so many it's getting borderline ridiculous. There are too many gorgeous colours and lovely textures! I must have them all! 



However, I know that on an everyday basis I want my lips to feel moisturised with a hint of colour to them, so I use Revlon's Colourburst Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie. It's very much a "your lips but better" kind of colour. It glides on so easily, is ultra moisturising and really does stay on a long time! If you have not yet tried Revlon's lip butters, I really recommend them, they are amazing!

Application: I apply the product from the tube like a lip balm as it does not bleed and blends into your lip without the need for a brush. Perfect!


I hope you enjoyed my everyday simple look and had as much fun reading about it as I had making it. I'd really love to hear about other products which would look nice for an everyday look, so let me know if there's anything that you think I should try!

Catriona
x x x



4 comments:

  1. Total beauty :)
    Wondering if you would like to follow each other? :)
    Please let me know.
    yuliconversation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your lovely comments, I'd love to follow each other. Following you now =)

      Catriona
      x x x

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial, keep up the good work. Come by on my blog if you have time, maybe we could follow each other after,

    xx
    Simona
    www.lakenmoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm very glad you enjoyed. Sure I'd like that, following you!

      Catriona
      x x x

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments =) They brighten up my day!